Monday, August 11, 2014

Inspiring beginning

As I sat in the multipurpose room at HMS looking at all of our new teachers and staff members, I couldn't help but think about one of my favorite quotes by William Arthur Ward.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.

We all experienced this moment during our first year; this moment of excitement and anxiety rolled into one.  Excited to meet the students; anxiety over new curriculum; excited to try new strategies; anxiety about whether or not we would have an impact on our students' lives.  The list can go on and on.

What inspires you?  What keeps you motivated every year to be the very best educator?

I cannot help but be inspired by all the new staff that I saw today.  The passion and enthusiasm in the room was contagious.  It is the fire and passion that this week brings that can spread like wildfire.   That's what inspires me.  

The idea that each and every one of us can make a difference in the lives of every student in our building is thrilling.  I have realized in the last several years that it truly is the little things that matter to our students and our communities.  Our students need us to show up every day with a smile on our face; giving not 100%, but giving 150%.  I know that I am inspired to start this school year with some amazing new additions to Piper School.  I am looking forward to watching them grow and challenge themselves to build strong relationships with each and every student they come into contact with.  I am also excited to continue to support the current staff members on their journey to make every day a memorable one for their students.  

This year is going to be a successful one at Piper as I continue to remind myself of the positive energy that was felt in the room today.  May it continue to spread throughout our staff and ignite the flames in all of our students to be inspired to learn something new and challenge themselves each and every day.

1 comment:

  1. I can not wait to see and talk to the students as they return to the new Piper School. Meeting their new teachers, seeing all the changes in the school and hearing about their summers. I always love the first days of school. I'll have to find someway to bottle that excitement and use it throughout the school year.

    ReplyDelete